About trying to raise a boy with Autism and ADHD whilst keeping a sense of humour.

Wednesday, November 9, 2011

MUMvember day 8 & 9 and going to the dentist.

So yesterday there was not much to tell in regards to mumvember challenge. Was it a flop, well no, just not appropriate for the child. I was to leave a love note in my child's lunch box.

Well A) he can't read being only 3. and B) no lunch box yesterday.

We did have our own attempt. Whilst at an appointment I tried to see how much sign language that we had tried previously had sunk in. Sadly I think none. As I was signing "I Love You" to him, but he just was not understanding me. Can't say I did not give it a go. Just know now that more effort has to go into sign language in the coming months before he goes to school two days a week next year. (They use sign language a lot in the special ed unit so that they can communicate with the non verbal children.)

Today was to make an appointment for me. Well I kind of cheated and did make an appointment yesterday afternoon for me next week when Thomas goes back to day care. I am off to the long over due dentist appointment yearly check up LOL. Yes it is for me.

Oh yesterday John had a dentist appointment. So that in the future Thomas is not scared of the dentist our dentist wants Thomas to come to our appointments. To watch us be brave in the chair and then at the end Dr Mc checks Thomas and lets him have a ride in the chair. Even gives out stickers.

What a great idea. So there is no fear built up about going, it is seen as fun and gentle. Dr Mc is gentle as anyway. I spoke to Thomas about each step so that he knew what has happening. He was not keen on the noise of the drill or the suction hose, but I am not surprised. But lots of reassurance he did not meltdown nor did we have to leave the room.

No comments:

Post a Comment