About trying to raise a boy with Autism and ADHD whilst keeping a sense of humour.

Saturday, September 3, 2011

Getting organised.... and today's quirks.

Well I did it. I got my act together and brought Mr T a cube bookcase to put his toys and games into. Putting it together was not fun, especially with one arm in a brace. But it is exactly what I wanted and needed in here. I was sick of stepping on toys, falling over trucks and blocks ect.

So now everything is neatly put away in it's place. Blocks ect have their own buckets. puppets have their own cube as do other toys, some share and it works well. Now I have another to do for his toy room too. Sigh. But it is going to look awesome. Control over the mess in this house is going to be regained.

It did how ever cause abut an hour of running in circles and arm flapping, but I am not sure if that was becuase he was excited by it or if it was just the change or both. This will help him also concentrate on one activity as he can only take out some toys not all of them.

PS yes I know there is a potty in there. It has it's place in the lounge too. I am hoping by Christmas another attempt at toilet training will happen. I guess a mum can dream that by the time he goes to school he will be fully toilet trained.


Now today's adventure. I am proud of myself today for not being rude but at the same time standing up for my child. We were in a department store doing the fathers day thing (like the rest of Australia) and were waiting in the checkout line. As I was organising the items to go on the counter from to trolley the lady behind us was trying to make eye contact with Thomas.

He was getting naturally uncomfortable and trying to divert her eye contact by turning away the best he could in his seat. The next things she says is "Playing shy is he." I turned to her and said, "That is becuase he is shy." And moved the trolley down so I was then standing between them. I avoided saying that is becuase eye contact is overrated when you have Aspergers. I just continued to let her think my child, who was doing his best not to be sensory overloaded, was just a shy little boy.

I know children a cute and some people are naturally drawn to them. But why do these same people think that becuase they are naturally drawn to a smiling child, that the child is going to like them too. Grrr. But I am also happy to report no meltdowns in the shopping centre at all. This is a huge achievement. But he had all his safety blankets there at the ready if need be. Oh yeah and snacks.


No comments:

Post a Comment