About trying to raise a boy with Autism and ADHD whilst keeping a sense of humour.

Friday, September 26, 2014

Comments and judgements

Normally we usually get positive comments about how well mannered Mr T is. But occasionally Mr T has a bad day, like everyone else, and his quirks, ticks and reasoning skills are non existent. These are usually on days when we have things to do and places to be.

Yesterday was one such day. And me being me I was not giving him the leeway he wanted, I was giving him options, choices and they were not always what he wanted. Part of the mantra of I am not raising a spoilt only child and he is not getting everything he wants no matter how much he puts on a performance for it. I will give him everything he needs, but not everything he wants.

So yesterday I ended up needing to take him to the Drs as he was getting a sinus infection. Before I even got him out the car I knew that it may go pair shaped. He was refusing to take his iPad and only wanted mine. From the get go he had been told that this was not okay. He had two choices his iPad or nothing.
He grizzled and whined about it. But I was not going to back down. Not ever. I reminded him calmly that his choices stood and my iPad was off limits. Than the dr was running late! The waiting room very busy and a grumpy child who was getting handsy grabbing and trying to go through my bag. All the while getting louder with me. (He was in his special needs buggy.) Can you feel the glares yet? The only moral support I had came from a fellow ASD mum who I knew.
But next thing I know a lady a few chairs down pipes up. "Young man you need a good smack across the bottom."
Yes you read right, a lady told my son he needed a smack! I calmly turned to her and said "If I thought a smack would work, I would give him one. But I am afraid he may just enjoy it and laugh in my face." "No I am not going to give into his demands either, he has been given his choices. He is expressing his dislike."
Then ignored her. Next thing the office nursing manager comes and puts us in a room to wait. I can see why but at the same time, it ramped him up more. Eventually we got seen.
There are days like this where you wish that the ground would swallow you whole.

But it lead me to think, would playing the Autism card been worth while?
Would telling a complete stranger that my son's reasoning skills suck because he has a neurological disability change her perspective of what was unfolding before her? Or would she just think he was an undisciplined brat?
What would you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment